Meg's 6" Square - The English Garden RR is Finished

Having received my English Garden RR squares home on Saturday, and being as ready for the Adventure in CQ as I feel I can be, gave me the push to get Meg's square done. She graciously gave me until after the event to send it off but I'm glad to have one more thing off my mind. This square was the biggest challenge of them all to me as I'm not used to working with printed fabrics. Are there any tips out there for how those of you who use these fabrics for piecing approach the embellishments? The fabrics are so pretty in their own right that it's hard to come up with motifs and seams to put over them. I hope Meg likes what I've done!

Square

5 comments:

  1. It's beautiful Maureen, and she's going to love it. I too am not used to printed fabrics and am having quite the challenge with the English Garden II blocks I'm working on. When I first started cq about 12 years ago, I only did seems as I used a lot of patterns. Now I love the solids as I can do so much with embellishments. I hate covering beautiful fabrics, but with the prints there's no choice. But it always turns out beautiful, as we see in this block!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've done a great job(of course)! Lovely. I like to use prints but I'm at a lost when it comes to embellishing. I thought it was just newbie-itis. Each thing you chose adds to the block/print. Remember CathyK's work on that really bright block? Autumn Jungle. IT needed taming but this one required just the right accents and you found them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reen, I think you have done a spectacular job on this block. Sometimes prints “read” as a solid, so you can treat them that way. Other times, like you have done, the motif can be repeated with SRE or embroidery. And I see that in the lower left you worked some beautiful flowers that seem to fit perfectly into the garden print. What a gorgeous block this turned into! Hugs, Cathy (ps - I even admit to covering up a busy print with a large motif or even a piece of fabric...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blue flowers look like they are growing on the fabric!! I love your ribbon work!!
    XO Shirlee

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is sumptuous and beautiful as always!

    ReplyDelete